- Dark Stuff Podcast 104: Josh Haden (Spain) Part Two
- The Dark Stuff Podcast #104 is a continuation of the interview with Josh Haden of the band Spain from #103. In this part of the interview, Haden talks about the second and third Spain LPs, his contractual issues with Restless Records, and the initial break-up of Spain. He then discusses his solo career, his collaborations (Handsome Boy Modeling School, Sean Lennon, DJ Shadow, Blue Man Group), and the re-formation of Spain. [Read More...]
- Dark Stuff Podcast 103: Josh Haden (Spain) Part One
- Dark Stuff Podcast #103 features an interview with Josh Haden, best known for his work in the fantastic indie band, Spain. This interview was conducted sometime in 2008, and was then lost to the ages due to a computer crash. I recently recovered the file, and am presenting part one of the interview here. [Read More...]
- Spain The Band To Appear On Record Store Day 2014 Compilation
From the official Omnivore Recordings press release:
Live From High Fidelity: The Best Of The Podcast Performances
Previously unissued performances by Jon Auer (Posies/Big Star), Rhett Miller (Old 97's),
Sam Phillips, and spoken word selections by Van Dyke Parks! Pressed on translucent
green vinyl with download card!
The¬†Live From High Fidelity podcast started out when two overly chatty vinyl obsessives (former A&R man and current music publisher Tom DeSavia and musician/arranger Eric Gorfain) were spurred on by their mutual friend, singer Sam Phillips, to record themselves talking about their recent finds, wish lists, and more. They decided to record the shows live in L.A.‚Äôs High Fidelity Records. Friends and musicians began to stop by. After a few shows, musical performances from those guests were added to the festivities‚ÄĒwith Gorfain accompanying on violin. (Outside of the podcast, Gorfain has played with everyone from Jimmy Page and Robert Plant to Foo Fighters, Kelly Clarkson, Ray Charles, and many more!) Suddenly, there was a following . . .
While the popular podcasts are available in their entirety for free download via iTunes, the musical segments have never been available separately. Until now.
Live From High Fidelity: The Best Of The Podcast Performances features 14 live performances from 9 guests. As is fitting for a podcast that celebrates records, this release will be on translucent green vinyl (with download card).
Included in the set are two songs each from Rhett Miller (Old 97‚Äôs) and Jon Auer (Posies/Big Star). Grant-Lee Phillips, Matt Nathanson, Sam Phillips, Spain, and Gorfain‚Äôs ensemble, The Section Quartet, all contribute a track. Comedian and actor Paul F. Tompkins chimes in as well, and the LP sides are bookended by spoken word pieces from Van Dyke Parks! The release features photos from the podcasts and liner notes from the hosts.
One-of-a-kind performances from a one-of-a-kind show,¬†Live From High Fidelity: The Best Of The Podcast Performances puts the music where it belongs‚ÄĒon your turntable!
AVAILABLE AT YOUR LOCAL RECORD STORE
LP Track List:
1.¬†‚ÄúWONDERFUL TO BE IN A RECORD STORE‚ÄĚ ‚Äď Van Dyke Parks
2.¬†SEE AMERICA ‚Äď Grant-Lee Phillips
3.¬†BROKEN CIRCLE ‚Äď Rhett Miller
4.¬†THIRTEEN ‚Äď Jon Auer
5.¬†KINKS SHIRT ‚Äď Matt Nathanson
6.¬†ONE KIND FAVOR ‚Äď Paul F. Thompkins
7.¬†‚ÄúSIDE A & SIDE B‚ÄĚ ‚Äď Van Dyke Parks
1.¬†‚ÄúWAY AHEAD OF THE CURVE‚ÄĚ ‚Äď Van Dyke Parks
2.¬†UNTITLED #1 ‚Äď Josh Haden & Matt Mayhall of the band Spain
3.¬†SIX FEET UNDER ‚Äď Jon Auer
4.¬†QUESTION ‚Äď Rhett Miller
5.¬†CAN‚ÄôT SEE STRAIGHT ‚Äď Sam Phillips
6.¬†JUICEBOX ‚Äď The Section Quartet
6.¬†‚ÄúI KNEW IT WOULD END LIKE THIS‚ÄĚ ‚Äď Van Dyke Parks
Includes download card.
- SPAIN ‚ÄúSARGENT PLACE‚ÄĚ - Review
- With this record the comeback starts to make sense - there‚Äôs been a shift, nothing dramatic, in truth nothing much has changed, but you know how different a face can look with a different haircut even though it is the same face, Spain have had a haircut. [Read More...]
- SPAIN - SARGENT PLACE / Review
- Spain √© um pequeno milagre no meio da cansada m√ļsica alternativa. Sargent Place √© bem feito, bem composto, bem tocado e com muita classe. Se voc√™ gosta desta forma √©bria e nada fofa de autocomisera√ß√£o, caia dentro. [Read More...]